Is diabetes defining how you live and the foods that you eat? Are too cautious on the vegetable and the fruits you eat? This article is meant for you. A muskmelon is a healthy option if you want to keep your blood sugar levels controlled.
How safe is it to eat melon as a diabetic?
Being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I started researching and writing about diabetes. They call me Lisa and I’m based in the New York. Before I can answer the question on whether melons are good for the diabetic or not feel free to download my book that contains guides on the foot to eat and avoid as a diabetic
Personally, I am a big fan of melons and watermelons probably due to the fact that there is not much to go around during summer. But, is there a difference between a watermelon and a melon?
Based on a research by Jennifer Shultz Nelson there are two varieties of melons: the American melon and the European cantaloupe. The scientific names of these two melons are Cucumis melo reticulatus and Cucumis melo cantalupensis respectively.
Most diabetic people avoid melons due to the fact that they contain 16g of carbohydrates and 14 grams of sugars. For a diabetic, this is way too much.
In particular, a watermelon has a glycemic index rated at 65 which is relatively high for a person with diabetes. I am very cautious about the glycemic index since it shows whether there will be s sharp rise in the blood sugar levels or now. Muskmelon has a glycemic index of 5.
That’s not all, muskmelon is also rich in potassium, vitamins A $ C is a strong antioxidant.
Answering the question of whether melons are good for the diabetic. Yes, they are but only if you consume them in moderation. Melons contain sugars in the form on fructose which doesn’t adversely affect the blood sugar levels like sucrose does but even then if you consume too much of it there will be a rise in your blood sugar levels.
Did this answer your question? Well, don’t forget to check my book.
Health benefits of eating Muskmelons
- Muskmelon will help you in losing weight. Basically, this particular fruit has a fat content of only 0.3 grams in a cup serving of diced melon.
- Helps in lowering levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Helps in maintaining stable blood pressure and reduces the risk of contracting hypertension.
- Muskmelon is low in sugars.
- Muskmelon is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C which helps boost vision and strengthen the body’s immune system respectively.
- You can cure sleeping disorder by eating muskmelon.
- Helps reduce the pain during menstrual cramps in women due to its anticoagulant property that helps dissolve clots, as a result, easing the bleeding.
- Weight loss- Basically, muskmelons are low in fats but are relatively high in carbohydrates that are easily broken down by the body. Muskmelon seeds have high fiber in it and the fruit, in general, has high water content. All these ingredients play a key loss in shedding off excess weight.
- Control diabetes- Muskmelons help the body in maintaining controlled blood sugar levels as a result controlling diabetes.
- Pregnancy- The folate in water helps prevent water retention by getting rid of excess sodium in the body.
- Prevent cancer- Muskmelons reduce the risk of contracting cancer by eradicating the free radicals in the cells as a result preventing the damage of cells.
- Reduces smoking withdrawal symptoms- If you have ever tried quitting smoking I’m sure that you can attest to the fact that it is not an easy task. However, eating muskmelons helps rejuvenate the lung as a result reduces the withdrawal symptoms.
- Prevent chronic diseases- Muskmelons contain adenosine which is a component that helps reduce the risk of contracting a heart disease.
There is no doubt that muskmelons are definitely a powerhouse due to the fact that they are rich in nutrients. Not only does this fruit ensure that your body stays hydrated due to its high water content but it also helps control the blood sugar levels. This means that muskmelon a healthy fruit for people living with diabetes. However, as the saying goes “too much of something is poisonous”. See to it that you don’t take too much of it.